Will PC2-5300 work instead of PC2-4200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
I'm just wondering if I can get a DDR2 PC2-5300 piece of RAM to put in a slot that wants a DDR2 PC2-4200... will this cause any damages to the system or will it work fine?

Also, can I mix and match a PC2-4200 with a PC2-5300 stick?

Thanks

shadoweater

Yellow Belt

Yes it will :p

and furthermore, if you by ram that can run faster you can push your frontside bus up and be more stabler if you are overclocking, as the ram can take the speed. Just make sure your cooler is decent (NEVER use stock..its rubbish)

Peace

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
Awesome :)

533Mhz is pretty fast isn't it? Or do I need something faster :shock:

I actually have a Celeron M, so it's not the fastest CPU but I think it'll handle whatever I'm going to throw in there.

Thanks

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
533Mhz

Yeah fast enough

thats probably the ram maximum clock speed. Check in your BIOS what the speed on your front side bus is

FSB = Frontside Bus

FSB * CPU Multiplier = CPU Speed

If you DO push your FSB then the CPU will run faster but will run HOTTER

I am not responsible for you frying your CPU by clocking too far on poor cooling.

If you use an awesome cooler like the Freezer range or even WATER, you can overclock further as the heat is taken away

All CPUs can do ALL speeds, It's just a case of for how long

Peace

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
Darn my BIOS is locked and I can't figure out what the password is; it's out of warranty now and I'm unsure how to reset the CMOS.

I don't think I'll overclock anything anyway in case I fry something accidentally :p

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
reset CMOS

Try disconnecting the pc from the power and removing the battery from the motherboard. Leave for 20 mins then put battery back in and power lead in. This should then forget the password

There are also override passwords for BIOS' so you can get in.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.