Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question Wordpress.org explanation

Discussion in 'Wordpress Content Management System' started by challengewriter, Dec 14, 2015.

1. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +67 / -0
    Please can somebody explain to me how WordPress.org works and if it is possible for me to learn how to make use of it, or if it has an application I need to use to make it work.

2. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    Wordpress.org has a directory where you can find free themes and plugins for use on your Wordpress blog. If you want to create a free personal Wordpress blog, you have to go to wordpressdotcom.

3. Webmasterserve

Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    Moving this Thread to "Content Management > Wordpress " section.

If you meant you want to create a blog hosted by Wordpress, like Zirkon said, you would need to go to wordpress.com and create and account and setup your blog, they will host your blog for free. But, if you want to have full control over the blog codes, designs and functionality, you have to host it yourself on your web hosting server and for this blog you can find free wordpress themes and wordpress plugins on wordpress.org to use on your private wordpress installation on your own web hosting server.

4. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    To understand what Wordpress.org is, it is must that you know what Wordpress is. In general, Wordpress is a tool to manage and publish your content online; in short it is a Content Management System. Now you can either use Wordpress on your own servers with your own domain/subdomain or you can host it on their server. The former is Wordpress.org and the latter is Wordpress.com With Wordpress.org you get full control over your website, but with Wordpress.com you'll have limited control.

5. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +67 / -0
    @PrashantD@PrashantD How do I get the wordpress.org thing to work? Do I need to hire a professional? I get the explanations, but still the answers aren't technical enough. I am wondering how it works, like what platform I would need to upload the zip folder and make a theme out of, I've searched online everywhere, but still haven't found a site hat breaks it down fully.

6. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    Okay, now it got your question. I don't think you need to hire a professional to get started. Just read through the following steps carefully and that would get you going. If you still have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

1. Download the .zip from Wordpress.org.
    2. Unzip the folder and upload it to the home directory of your server. If you don't have one yet, get a shared sever and upload the files in the public_html aka www folder. You can also add an addon domain, but it's easier and shorter to just upload it in home directory.
    3. Go to MySQL databases in cPanel and create a database. Add a user to it and Grant all privileges.
    4. Go to your domain.com (assuming you've already configured the domain to point to the directory where you have uploaded the Wordpress files.)
    5. Install Wordpress by entering the details of the database you created in Step 3.
    6. You now have Wordpress installed on your server and it is just as good as any. Play with plugins(you can get plenty from Wordpress.org repository, different themes and in no time you'll know a lot of stuff.

Let me know if you still need more information on any of the above steps or anything else.

Happy Wordpressing!

7. Webmasterserve

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    @challengewriter@challengewriter are you trying to setup a blog or website with your own domain name? If you are referring to the download offered at wordpress.org, you would have to upload those files to a web hosting server (free ot paid) which offers php web hosting. Then you can install wordpress on your server, you will also need a domain name like webmasterserve.com or any .com or .net etc which will act as your website or blog address.

The Wordpress user guide has some detailed instructions of how you can use wordpress.org's open source software. Basically, once you install it and enter your admin panel, you have option to install themes, free or paid themes, plugins and start posting content. You don't need to be a technical person and no need to hire someone just to install it. You will only need technical help if you are trying to add some unique features or creating a unique design which is non-existant among the themes sold.

8. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +67 / -0
    Yes, you understood me, thank you. Which do you think is the best shared server I should get and also is it possible to that the server will be linked to WordPress?
    Thank you very much, a website with a blog feel, for articles. I already got the domain from GoDaddy, now I just need to create the site, and have it ready for users before Thursday.

9. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    Well! the best host depends on your requirements. There are many to be fair and it is not really difficult to choose one. I would suggest a shared hosting plan with multiple domains allowed so that you can use the same account for many websites. Also, go for one which offers cPanel as its Control Panel. Avoid going for hosts like FatCow or iPage as they offer their custom custom control panel which are not as flexible and useful as cPanel. Do check the reviews before signing up and all will be good. If you encounter any problems while setting up your website, feel free to ask, we are here to help. :)

10. Webmasterserve

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    @challengewriter@challengewriter For starters, you can buy a shared hosting plan from Hostgator or similar web hosts lile Blue Host or InmotionHosting etc. If you plan to host several sites on one hosting account to save costs (several domain names on one hosting) make sure the plan you select allows hosting multiple or unlimited domain names/sites, it will be mentioned in the plan details.

Once you setup a hosting account, they will ask you to change "name servers" for your domain in your domain settings from where you bought the domain. Most domain sellers also offer hosting packages but may not be the best option for hosting, if you bought your domain from GoDaddy you can also check out the hosting from GoDaddy but I do not recommend them. Siteground is also a good host, offering 60% off discounts for Christmas as you see on the top banner on this page. Remember, most hosting companies give you 30-45 days free cancelation with refund, some will deduct a setup fee when you cancel.

After changing nameservers, within 24-48 hours your domain will start showing the files from your hosting server (earlier for some regions and later for some regions of the world until all DNS servers across the globe know your new domain name and its new hosting address).

You can start uploading files and installing wordpress as soon as your hosting account is setup. Let us know how it goes, while doing it I think you will learn something and probably you can even create a tutorial for newbies from your experience :)

And, just post your questions here, I am sure one of our members will be glad to help you through the steps if you get stuck.

11. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    Why not to use fantastico from your hosting package?
    Just go to the cpanel and look into the CMS offered by them.
    Click on Wordpress icon and it takes to you where you want to install the blog.
    Wordpress has built where you can install plugins within from admin panel.

I suggest you to use Cpanel so it is easy to setup in 2 to 3 mins or 1 minute.

12. comprar

White Belt

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    WordPress is a great product. It's easy-to-use, powerful, and flexible. Creating a website, and maintaining a website, is a science and art that has quickly evolved. In order to fully appreciate this it is important to be well read on the subject. One major thing to keep in mind is your investment of time. Being knowledgeable will without a doubt save you much time in the long run. With that in mind, before you invest your valuable time and energy into installing WordPress, there are some documents you need to read to help you get started.

13. Webmasterserve

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    @bharath@bharath that is a great suggestion, for non-techie people using fantastico is a very user friendly way to install wordpress on your webhosting server using cpanel. Almost every good hosting company offers cpanel and fantastico or similar installers to install open source software like wordpress, joomla, drupal, etc. Smart idea!

14. MyDigitalpoint

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    To start with and clarifying a bit, wordpress .org is not a "thing" you can use or not, WordPress is the name of a former blog publish system developed resulting from a former project that eventually split in two branches; WordPress and B2evolution when former developers took different ways. Wordpress .org is a domain name hosting a website built using their own software; what you can use is this; the software they developed.

Actually WordPress is a content management system (CMS) distributed as free open source, hence the reason why developers setup two domain names for its distribution.

ORG domains names were originally release to hold non-profit projects, hence wordpress .org is meant to be the website that distributes the free software package, along with a large collection of both free and paid add-ons called plugins, which add extended functionality to the core software. In addition, there is also a large collection of themes to suit anyone's layout needs, some of which are specific to develop certain type of websites, whether stores, forums, online portfolios, portal, sites, or merely blogs among may other options.

Because WordPress software is built upon a template system and plugin architecture, it has endless options to develop whatever project anyone has in mind.

Nonetheless, and back to wordpress .org, this domains is the access point to gain access to the free WordPress world, but the COM version of the site (wordpress .com) is meant to monetize from it. Keep in mind that when I say monetize, I mean the developers of the software, not you.

At wordpress.com you can buy hosting (which is expensive) support and paid features. You can also create a website powered by WordPress and upon a subdomain under their own, and which is totally free to create. This means that you can have a site looking like this; http:// myveryownprojet . wordpress . com

Even though the same that is not advisable to buy hosting from Wordpress . com, it is either to create a free site with them because their terms forbids you to use that space to monetize (unless you updgrade to paid hosting) and they may delete your site for not reason at all, anytime, and at their sole discretion.

I'ts always more affordable, practical, and reliable to host your site elsewhere. There are countless free and paid hosting services supporting one-click installation of WordPress withing their control panels.

Actually Fantastico is being retired from most hosting services because this installer has not been updated for years, so is likely more common to find WordPress within the much better Softaculous installer, and also within other ready-to-install software hosting services come with.

Even though, installing yourself WordPress on a hosting service is either a rocket science; you can download the core package from wordpress. org, create a database on your hosting service and then unpack the WordPress files and upload via FTP of your control panel's file manager.

Once uploaded, you simply point your browser to your website, and the script will guide you step by step to get the site running in 5 minutes, as they claim; matter to fill in the form with your site information and you will be done ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List