Please can somebody explain to me how WordPress.org works and if it is possible for me to learn how to make use of it, or if it has an application I need to use to make it work.
Yes, you understood me, thank you. Which do you think is the best shared server I should get and also is it possible to that the server will be linked to WordPress?Okay, now it got your question. I don't think you need to hire a professional to get started. Just read through the following steps carefully and that would get you going. If you still have any questions, feel free to ask.
- Download the .zip from Wordpress.org.
- Unzip the folder and upload it to the home directory of your server. If you don't have one yet, get a shared sever and upload the files in the public_html aka www folder. You can also add an addon domain, but it's easier and shorter to just upload it in home directory.
- Go to MySQL databases in cPanel and create a database. Add a user to it and Grant all privileges.
- Go to your domain.com (assuming you've already configured the domain to point to the directory where you have uploaded the Wordpress files.)
- Install Wordpress by entering the details of the database you created in Step 3.
- You now have Wordpress installed on your server and it is just as good as any. Play with plugins(you can get plenty from Wordpress.org repository, different themes and in no time you'll know a lot of stuff.
Let me know if you still need more information on any of the above steps or anything else.
Thank you very much, a website with a blog feel, for articles. I already got the domain from GoDaddy, now I just need to create the site, and have it ready for users before Thursday.@challengewriter are you trying to setup a blog or website with your own domain name? If you are referring to the download offered at wordpress.org, you would have to upload those files to a web hosting server (free or paid) which offers php web hosting. Then you can install wordpress on your server, you will also need a domain name like webmasterserve.com or any .com or .net etc which will act as your website or blog address.
The Wordpress user guide has some detailed instructions of how you can use wordpress.org's open source software. Basically, once you install it and enter your admin panel, you have option to install themes, free or paid themes, plugins and start posting content. You don't need to be a technical person and no need to hire someone just to install it. You will only need technical help if you are trying to add some unique features or creating a unique design which is non-existant among the themes sold.
Well! the best host depends on your requirements. There are many to be fair and it is not really difficult to choose one. I would suggest a shared hosting plan with multiple domains allowed so that you can use the same account for many websites. Also, go for one which offers cPanel as its Control Panel. Avoid going for hosts like FatCow or iPage as they offer their custom custom control panel which are not as flexible and useful as cPanel. Do check the reviews before signing up and all will be good. If you encounter any problems while setting up your website, feel free to ask, we are here to help.Yes, you understood me, thank you. Which do you think is the best shared server I should get and also is it possible to that the server will be linked to WordPress?