World Of Goo Review (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre

Yellow Belt
One of the more bizarre games that I have come across in recent times, World of Goo is a strategy based game in which you have to build a 'tower' of goo to reach the destination.

The tower has is impacted by a number of things, including gravity which makes it harder than simply building a rigid tower. There are a number of different things you can do with your tower as well. For example, you can use balloons to keep it in the air and wedge it against walls. You can also take certain parts of the tower apart on some levels, which you need to do in order to reach your goal.
It is not only the tower falling that you have to worry about. You also have to contend with various obstacles including saws and spikes, which will puncture balloons and kill your goo.
While there is a lot to contend with, once you get the jist of it, the game isn't particularly hard. It's a good play and makes you think a large amount, but it didn't take me that long to complete. Having said that, it wasn't particularly expensive to purchase and gave me a few hours of entertainment.

Graphically, it is pretty basic. The fact of the matter is that it is not built to be graphically intense and is meant to be a game that is readily available to a large audience. Most people should therefore be able to pick it up and play.
The sound on the game is also pretty basic. It offers nothing new or interesting in this department, opting instead for a range of basic sounds and music.

For the price tag of $20, it is reasonably priced, though I felt a little cheated. Bring that down to $10 and I'd be a lot more positive about the price tag. You can pick up a lot of good games for $20.

Graphics 6.0

Basic graphics make the game seem as though it should belong on an arcade site.

Gameplay 6.5

It definitely makes you think but doesn't pull out any stops. Pretty easy puzzles to solve and got a bit boring after a while.

Sound 5.0

Basic soundtrack adds to the arcade feel of the game, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Longevity 5.5

Once is enough for this game. It doesn't hold many surprises and most people won't complete it, let alone come back for more.

Overall 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.