My Experience You as a webmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
Hi

What made you decide you wanted to become a webmaster, was it for the money, did you start it off as a hobby, for a good cause etc

I do this part time and it's more of a hobby for me (for now)

I started to become interested after I designed my I.T Support Site as my full time role is I.T Support, so I wanted to build a site which would provide I.T Support to others.

I had never joined a forum before but read that they were very helpful. I started to join different forums for advice and most forum owners would class me as a spammer :(

I then joined UK Webmaster World where I met Temi and the team. He welcomed me like it was my own forum and provided me with great and professional advice. When I made a mistake, he would let me know so I could improve. I have learnt alot since I first started and really enjoy it.

What about you, what's your story?

Thanks

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
I started to join different forums for advice and most forum owners would class me as a spammer :(
I get this problem quite a lot especially in wholesale forums. I swear I am not a spammer but its difficult to not offer your services to someone who is asking for exactally what you have to offer.

Lorna

Yellow Belt
The problem that I have had from some forums is that I join, try to give good advice relating to an issue that is related to our site (property etc) and will perhaps put the site as a signature. However I don't do this until I have contributed several posts, which I think are of good quality.

I then get either banned for spamming (which I don't think I am) or get the administrator giving a cutting analysis of my site ('I looked for properties and you have none in my area' - without bothering to read that we have only been advertising properties for 3 weeks)

This has put me off joining many forums - a lot seem to be run by people with a chip on their shoulder who are bitter about anyone trying to get ahead.

(sorry about the rant!!)

DevonWebsites

Yellow Belt
This has put me off joining many forums - a lot seem to be run by people with a chip on their shoulder who are bitter about anyone trying to get ahead.

(sorry about the rant!!)

Exactally my point. I have been banned from the http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/ for advertising without paying a membership fee, I didnt advertise anything I was just chatting on a forum and had my site in my signature (thats what forums and signatures are for!). Since I am a wholesaler and not a retailer I have to pay £30 a month to post onto the forum. The very fact that I represent a wholesaler and refused to pay out of principle got me banned. The thing that cracks me up most is that it is a wholesale forum and not a retail forum, surely its the wholesalers and not the retailers that make it work. If there were no wholesalers on the forum it wouldnt work at all.

Thats my rant over.

Lorna

Yellow Belt
Thanks Temi!:)

As a forum owner myself I wouldn't like if if people joined and just made a blatant advertising pitch (which has happened, and I pm'ed them to say that I would hide their advertising post until they had contributed at least 10 posts to the forum - i thought that quite fair) But I also appreciate that a lot of people do join forums with a view of promoting their business or service in some way. I don't see it as a problem as long as you contribute to the forum you are using aswell. To me it's a win win situation. They promote their services whilst contributing to your site.

People just don't look at the bigger picture at all. Can you tell how mad this makes me :mad: :mad: :mad: !

The forum it happened to me on was on a well known site, and rather than actually print the advice (which was concerning rightmove and could you advertise on it yourself) the admin chose to remove my post and then replace it with a post saying that I had given good advice but he had removed it.!!! And then after saying lots of nasty things about my site, without having actually looked at it properly, put the post back on again. It really played on my mind all weekend, but then I thought it best to move on, and not to visit that forum again.

Sorry for the rant again - I'm with you WWT and I completely agree with you!!!

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Better out than in Loran, so please rant. I have done same thing at UK WW several times.
Its usually nice to politely inform someone who is going wrong at a forum and correct them before taking out the big stick.

Lorna

Yellow Belt
I just think that people are so cynical and paranoid - I hate spam but you have to distinguish between people putting obvous spam content and generally making a decent contribution - as you say gkd it is all down to spammers. It's there fault!!! (but surely some common sense must come in somewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.